Leaving Salt Lake City, Utah on Sunday morning, our journey continued on to Idaho for 397 miles. We made a quick visit to Shoshone Falls; We needed to press on as we had tickets to see a Shakespeare play in Boise that evening.
The weather forecast for Boise showed there would be a chance of rain in the evening. The evening for our outdoor play I had been looking forward to! Looking toward Boise, the sky was dark. It started to drizzle. As we were getting closer and closer, the rain got harder and harder. When we exited the freeway and pulled up to our hotel, the rain stopped and the clouds cleared, the sun even shone. We had 2 1/2 hours until the start of A Midsummer's Night Dream and hoped the skies would stay clear.
The skies were clear and beautiful! The play was not cancelled, Yay!
The Idaho Shakespeare Festival setting was just beautiful! The trees, the singing birds, the river and with the outdoor amphitheater right in the middle of it all. We were pleasantly surprised when we were taken to our second row assigned seating on the lawn. The play started at 7pm, our children's bedtime. Sunset cast beautiful lighting on the stage, at a late 9:24pm! It was dry the entire play, but at the end a little shower there was:)
That very time I saw (but thou couldst not),
Flying between the cold moon and the earth,
Cupid all arm'd. A certain aim he took
At a fair vestal throned by the west,
And loos'd his love-shaft smartly from his bow,
As it should pierce a hundred thousand hearts;
But I might see young Cupid's fiery shaft
Quench's in the chaste beams of the wat'ry moon,
And the imperial vot'ress passed on,
In maiden meditation, fancy-free.
Yet mark'd I where the bolt of Cupid fell.
It fell upon a little western flower,
Before milk-white, now purple with love's wound,
And maidens call it love-in-idleness.
Fetch me that flow'r; the herb I showed thee once.
The juice of it on sleeping eyelids laid
Will make or man or woman madly dote
Upon the next live creature that it sees.
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine;
We all had such a great time and laughed and laughed, parents and children! There was a 60s twist to A Midsummer's Night Dream, which was actually very entertaining and had us all laughing. Laughing and enjoying so much that I was surprised to learn that nearly 3 hours had gone by. My preference would have been to watch a Shakespeare play with the actors in period costume. I am glad I was not aware beforehand as I may have considered not purchasing tickets.


No comments:
Post a Comment