
The Study of Trees. --Children should be made early intimate with the trees, too; should pick out half a dozen trees, oak, elm, ash, beech, in their winter nakedness, and take these to be their year long friends. In the winter, they will observe the light tresses of the birch, the knotted arms of the oak, the sturdy growth of the sycamore. They may wait to learn the names of the trees until the leaves come. By-and-by, as the spring advances, behold a general stiffening and look of life in the still bare branches; life stirs in the beautiful mystery of the leaf-buds, a nest of delicate baby-leaves lying in downy warmth within many waterproof wrappings; oak and elm, beech and birch, each has its own way of folding and packing its leaflets; observe the 'ruby-budded lime' and the ash, with its pretty stag's foot of a bud, not green but black.--
Charlotte Mason Vol.1 pg.52
Last Thursday on nature walk, we observed two tree swallows fly up and out from the brush at the pond's edge. While following the birds with my eyes and then searching the location from whence they came, then up again, my search was interrupted by the beauty of the ruby colored fruits balls of this sycamore! In all my life I have never witnessed the Spring beauty of this tree. Your works are wondrous O Lord!
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Sign of Spring
CALIFORNIA SYCAMORE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


wondrous indeed! your pictures capture it beautifully. love your words that seem to make it come to life again in my mind's eye...
ReplyDeletethanks for commenting on my blog. I very much enjoy visiting yours :)
amy in peru
I just took pictures of the very same thing two days ago! Isn't it amazing the things we've walked by and never noticed all our lives!! Thank God for opening our eyes to beauty :)
ReplyDeleteSo funny--I just noticed these for the first time too after seeing sycamores my whole life. We were at the Shipley nature center in HB and I could not believe how beautiful those red balls were. We were all just amazed.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful for the opening of my eyes to new things in His creation. I thought I was observant and appreciative before, but I find I am seeing so much more.
Thanks for sharing.
Greta