Sunday, July 26, 2009

Camping

McGrath State Beach...

Last weekend our family was blessed with living in nature for two days. Our campsite was at the riverbank's edge with a view of the Pacific Ocean. We were pleasantly surprised at dusk when we heard the first "ribbit" sound! Hundreds of frogs made music for our ears all night. We were unable to locate even one of the little guys in the orchestra. When it was dark and time for bed, James shed some tears, I first thought he was afraid to fall asleep listening to the frogs, but he told me, "I want to see the frogs."



On our way to the coast we drove through Encino, a scorching 107 degrees on Sunday! The coast was a balmy 71 degrees, cooling even more in the early evening. The campfire gave us warmth and much anticipated S'mores! Oh how Julia, James, and Mama enjoyed the camping treat.


Fishing with Daddy was so much fun!


The walk to the beach was some distance, but lovely along-side the estuary.

McGrath State Beach at the Santa Clara Estuary is, "One of the best bird-watching areas in California." The birds were plentiful and a joy to observe!


A Red-Winged Black Bird, searching for crumbs, was spotted under our picnic table.
Julia and James enjoyed "fishing" in the salt marsh and "grilling" their catch on the tree grill. We chose this spot #143 for the open view and this tree. These little purple berries were found on this tree, which I'm sure the little birds just enjoy.

Julia thought camping was more fun than she imagined it would be and James thought that it was going to be more fun, but he still liked camping.







2 comments:

  1. How fun Johnna! And how amazing to see Avocets right on the beach!! Looks like you had a wonderful trip - your pictures are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so inspired. I have read about this campground and now I really want to go. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete